Registration and insurance


The EIHA (English Ice Hockey Association) are responsible for all recreational ice hockey in England & Wales. They approve games, oversee registration and make sure everyone is protected in case something happens. The process for registration in Scotland and Northern Ireland is different to the procedure listed below. If you intend to play in either of these countries, please contact your prospective team for registration information. The following information applies to England & Wales only:

Once you’ve found the team you want to play for, get in touch with the appointed manager. You will be asked to complete a Player Registration Application. Ensure you return this to the manager with a passport-style photo as well as a copy of your passport or driving licence. The manager will then complete and submit the form.

If it’s your only hockey team, a registration fee of £60 will need to be paid to your manager who will then pay this to the EIHA. This payment must be made from the club, you cannot send it yourself. The payment drops to £35 if it is your second or third team (you cannot play for more than 3).

The fee covers your EIHA Rec. Sections Insurance. You must be aged 16-70 to receive this.

If you are brand new to the sport of ice hockey, you will be eligible to act as a ‘try-out’. This gives you 14 days from your form submission to receive a refund of your fee if you decide you no longer want to participate in the sport. If you wish to take advantage of this, let your manager know and your fee will be held back from the EIHA during this period. You will still be covered by the EIHA’s insurance throughout the 14 days but you must not play in any EIHA sanctioned games.


Your insurance will cover you between the 1st of October and the 30th of September. It runs during this fixed 12 month period and it is not 12 months from the date of registration. For example, if it was registered on the 1st of July it would still need re-registration in October despite only 3 months passing.

The EIHA Rec. insurance will cover you on any officially sanctioned EIHA ice hockey activities including those which are overseas.

If you need to make a claim on the grounds of injury, you should contact your team manager ASAP so they can place a call to the Recreation Section Insurance Administrator. This is the fastest way of actioning a claim and must be done within 21 days of the incident. Your manager will then complete a claim form on your behalf.